In the early 1930s, the Cummer family reorganized the property in their compound. After the death of Ada Cummer in 1929, her three heirs—siblings Arthur, Waldo, and Mabel—decided to tear down their mother’s house and divide up the property among them, although Mabel Roe elected to live a few blocks away.
While Arthur and his brother Waldo led the Cummer Lumber Company, their wives masterminded the gardens surrounding their homes. Those gardens are now one of the glories of the Museum.
Q: Does The Cummer do restoration work or conservation treatment on-site? Can I bring my object over for an examination?
The Cummer Museum is pleased to announce a new publication on its collection of early Meissen porcelain.
Like her husband, Arthur, Ninah Cummer was active in civic and charitable organizations. She distinguished herself quite early in Jacksonville by organizing relief after the city’s staggering fire of 1901 and as a Red Cross volunteer during World War I.
Although the museum would seem to be a logical place to discover that sort of information, appraisals and valuations are highly specialized areas that require extensive education and certification for their practitioners.
Sign Up for our email Newsletter
- 50 Favorites
- Art & Science
- Art Around Town
- Ask Anything
- Behind the Scenes
- Cultural Connections
- Cummer Trivia
- DIY & Photo Challenges
- FOCUS Cummer
- Legacy Archives
- Museum Store
- Now & Then
- Special Events
- The TreeCup
- Up & Cummers
- Wordless Wednesday
Connect with Us
Leave Us A Review
@thecummermuseum On Twitter
- A big #FF shout out to all of our great friends who’ve included us in their conversations! @johnmeeks1974 @Caroleknud @varick @FloridaMining 156 days ago
- The Sock Monkey has been a favorite toy for well over a century, but the iconic Sock Monkey emerged in… instagram.com/p/gBQjqbgYoV/ 174 days ago
- I hate to post the same kind of image two days in a row, but this was too pretty to pass up. instagram.com/p/f46Kk-gYt5/ 177 days ago
- Lunch, Lecture, & Tour at The Cummer – bit.ly/16ygoZH #FOCUSCummer 178 days ago
- Modern Dialect: American Paintings from the John and Susan Horseman Collection. #ModernDialect bit.ly/1gJ7SRq 178 days ago
Powered by Twitter Tools